NON5 x Chickpea & Quinoa Burger
Chickpea Quinoa Burgers with gherkins, coriander mayo and cabbage slaw
“There better be a burger, without being average.”
It’s a line most of us have heard, spoken or thought, in some way, shape or form. This vegan burger is all that and more - takes the classic concept, structure and cravings we know (and secretly love) from a burger whilst also providing a vegan staple that nourishes, fulfils and quietly screams a little bit fancy. Grains and chickpeas balance the strength of the lemongrass, hibiscus, lemon myrtle, liquorice root and peppermint in NON5 Lemon Marmalade & Hibiscus but you’ll also taste that subtle kick on the palate for a well rounded mouthful.
Takes: 30 min
- 400 gram tin chickpeas - 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper - 1/2 (50 grams) onion
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coriander + stems - 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup self raising flour (use gluten free if preferred) - 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup coriander - 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil Cabbage slaw
- 1/2 cup shredded white cabbage - 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard - 1/2 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 gherkins, sliced To serve
- 4 Burger buns of choice - Micro greens
In food processor, blend the ingredients for the coriander mayo on high for 3-4 minutes (this whips it for a lighter finish).
Pour into a serving dish, leaving 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise in the food processor. On top, add the drained chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cayenne pepper and salt, blending for 30 seconds. Add the cooked quinoa and flour, blending for a further 30 seconds or until smooth and thick.
Heat a pan with the vegetable oil and using an ice cream scoop, dollop single spoons into the oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden before flipping, pressing slightly to form a singular surface layer, and cook until golden again. Drain on paper towel and repeat with the remaining batter.
Make the slaw just before serving by mixing the ingredients together in a bowl.
Assemble by covering both sides of the burger with the coriander mayonnaise, a tablespoon or two of the slaw and 1-2 chickpea patties. Close the burger and enjoy next to NON5 Lemon Marmalade & Hibiscus.